Followers

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Birthdays.

I have a birthday coming up.  Like most people I had set goals that I would have liked to achieve by now, but not all of those goals came to pass.  Truth be told, I still have quite a long way to go.  There is an added pressure that comes with being the first born, that only first borns can understand, but I digress...the point is as each birthday sneaks up on me the pressure increases to achieve those goals I had set, as if with each year time is running out.  Birthdays used to be all fun and games, parties and gifts, later some alcoholic debauchery but now it's as if each birthday is chasing me with a knife like some awful horror movie....aaargh!

I suppose time is of essence, the days of my heart's desire being a Barbie, My Little Pony or BMX are long gone.  Now I catch myself drooling over beautiful, multiple bed roomed, double storey houses and Range Rover Sports, Mercedes Benz with AMG kits, Q7s and Porsche Cayennes.  Oh how one's wants change.  Can YOU feel the pressure just reading my wish list???

So, reality check...is it reasonable to continue to put the kind of pressure on myself that has my heart racing more often than not to succeed or should I just settle for what I can get and at least be able to breathe normally?

I don't know about you, but the easy way out has absolutely NOT been the story of my life thus far and birthday or not will not be this year.


Calvin Coolidge wrote, "Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence.  Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent.  Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.  Education will not; the world is full of educated failures.  Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent".


LESSONS LEARNED.


Thanks for stopping by,




AfricasHeiress.

No comments: